I just sold this Townhouse at #10 6887 Sheffield Way Chilliwack B.C., Chilliwack, BC Sardis East.
Starting in January 2023, a new way to buy real estate will be mandator in BC. It involves a 3 day cooling off period. The recent trend to making an offer to buy residential real estate where there was no subject to financing is going to change. This will be the first of its kind in Canada and involves a 3 day cooling off period after the offer has been accepted so the buyer can back out of the deal.
Sounds simple, but wait there's more. There is a cancellation fee equal to $250 for every $1,000,000 of purchase price, so a $1M home would produce a cancellation fee of $2,500.
Once the offer is accepted the purchaser, would have 3 business days to do their due diligence such as home inspection, review of strata minutes, appraisal, financing, legal etc and if they are not happy they can cancel the deal subject to the penalty.
This is NOT what the provinces regulator not the BC Real Estate Association recommended in terms of steps to take to protect home buyers but it is what the government deemed most appropriate.
MORE GREAT NEWS FROM MORTGAGE BROKER CHAD DREYER
Hope you had a great weekend!
It looks like we may see some great upcoming changes to Insured mortgages in Canada!
There are plans to increase the maximum purchase price for insured mortgages (less than 20% down) mortgages from 1 million to 1.25 million which is great new for Markets like Vancouver where prices are hight and in situations where buyers may be able for a to qualify but could be short on downpayment needed for a purchase would have the option to look at an insured mortgage with a higher price point.
As this develops I will be sure to keep to keep you updated.
Bond yields have hit new highs that we have not seen since Feb 2020 and this is certainly going to put pressure on fixed rates to increase shortly, I have heard some lenders will be announcing rate increases overnight or over the coming days unless bond yields go back down shortly.
Given where bond yields are now, I suggest any clients you are currently working with who may not have a pre approval/rate hold currently that they do so ASAP!
Have a great week.
INTERESTING UPDATE FROM MORTGAGE BROKER CHAD DREYER ON PROMISES TO HELP HOME BUYERS.
Well as we all saw nothing much changed with last months Federal election, however the Liberals now have a fresh slate of policies for housing with hopes of sustainability and assisting first time buyers.
Here is a summary of their key housing promises:
The Liberals plan to build, preserve or repair 1.4 million new homes if the next 4 years, they plan to do so through the following initiatives:
- Housing accelerator fund
- Invest $4 billion in a housing accelerator fund to build 100,000 new middle-class homes by 2024/2025
- $2.7 billion for the National Housing Co-Investment Fund
- $600 million for office and retail space conversion to housing
- A temporary ban on foreign ownership
- Foreign citizens would be barred from purchasing Canadian housing for the next 2 years, unless its proven to be for future employment or immigration within the proceeding 2 years
- Anti-Flipping Tax
- Applicable to properties sold within 12 months of purchase
Mortgage Qualification Policies
- Changes to the First-Times Home Buyers Incentive
- Under the new plan participants could choose between the previous shared equity arrangement or now opt instead for a loan that is repayable only at time of sale
- Increase mortgage insurance eligibility cap to $1.25 million
- This is an increase from the current $1 million
- Reduce CMHC insurance premiums for new buyers by 25%
- Tax-Free Home Savings Account
- This allows Canadians under 40 to save up to $40,000 towards their first purchase, the money can withdrawn tax-free with no repayment requirement
- $1 billion for rent to own projects
- Multi-generational home renovations tax credit
- Provide a 15% tax credit of up to $50,000 for homeowners who add a secondary unit to their home for the use of immediate or extended family
- Double the First-Time Buyer Tax Credit from $10,000 from $5,000
There is definitely a lot of work here with everything the Liberals have proposed above and as we know by the time these come to law they could look much different that proposed above.
I will continue to monitor these and update you if any policy changes are announced.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out!